Saturday, December 13, 2008

No longer a corporate whore...


Yes, as the title says, I am no longer a corporate whore as of today.

Yesterday was my last day in the office and I am now officially free! "Corporate whore" may be a bit harsh but that is how my sister described the way I looked one morning before work... I was wearing a slightly pretentious-looking grey tailored suit and a Thomas Pink striped shirt. I look quite hot in that ensemble if I say so myself but yes, corporate-whoreish and just not me.

So I have chosen to give up the "secure, well paid, permanent and pensionable job in the blue chip, respectable company" and yes shock horror... done so in the middle of a recession! But you know what? It may be the best thing that I have ever done. Then again ask me how I am in a few months if I am unemployed and broke and miserable!

All I know is that I yearn for more... and am capable of much more than that. If you define success as your weekly manicure/ hairdresser visit, your San Tropez everyday fake tan, your SUV and your D4 house that you are paying off your mortgage for (all of which have you trapped in a job you f*cking hate that has you stressed out and with no time to actually have a life) then I wish you all the success in the world but that is not success to me.

Don't know where this will take me but I feel a lot more alive than I have done in a long time... bring on the unknown, fear, creativity, horizons, spontaneity, opportunity... and bring it good! Let's see where we go.

By the way... I'm pretty sure that this may mean that I'm going to go travel for a bit (or more than a bit!) next year at some stage... Seeing as how I never did that after college/ a few years ago when everyone else that I know did it and I was being the "sensible" one by getting my qualifications/ experience, I have no one to go with this time (this is where girlfriends seem to come in handy but I haven't got one of them now either!)... SO... just throwing the invite out there... If I decide to go, I'll go on my own... but if I happen to meet a random travel companion before then, then why not - join me and we'll have a crazy adventure!

Goodbye to this:



Photo taken by hinius on Flickr: http://flickr.com/photos/35468146967@N01/54524775

No comments: